Friday, December 19, 2008

Where’s my wig young man, I’m so cold my false teeth are chattering.



I got in to a discussion the other day about whether the voting age in our country should be lowered. One argument was that sixteen year olds can drive cars, they work and they pay taxes on the wages they earn. Denying them the right to vote while taxing their burger flipping pay equates to taxation without representation. While that may be a good point, I say, “screw ‘em, they are just kids and don’t have enough experience to make an educated decision”. I know, my argument holds liquid about as well and as long as a freshly opened beer bottle in my right hand but that isn’t the point. As a society, we’ve deemed age eighteen as the point where an individual becomes an adult and thereby receives the full benefits of adulthood and the responsibilities as well. In essence we’ve stated that this is the amount of life experience it takes to become informed.

If you think back to the days when our constitution was written, people died younger. Eighteen years old was nearly half a lifetime. To maintain consistency, with life expectancy in the United States approaching 80 years perhaps it is time to raise the voting age to around 40 (and 65 in Florida).

You may say that someone can educate and inform themselves through study but it is only through experience where one learns how to cut through the bias and bull that exists in most curricula. Education is only as good as the information that is used to educate.

For this reason I say a better suggestion than elevating the voting age would be to raise the age requirement to be a climatologist to about 2,456,454 years. Al “yeah I can’t believe they gave me a Nobel Prize either” Gore and his global alarmist crowd are basing their theories on hundreds of years of data, not the millions that the world has been around.

I’ve been collecting global cooling headlines for the past few months and the stack of papers is now so high it is blocking the heating vent and I am freezing my butt off. Just today we see headlines about snow in Las Vegas, snow in Malibu, snow in New Orleans and snow in Chicago. Ok, so no big whoop with it snowing in Chicago in December, but you get my point!

When you hear the warming alarmists warming up their arguments, I suggest you ask them how far back their data goes. Hell, every time I see a painting of George Washington he’s got a thick coat on and there’s snow on the ground. I’m thinking that’s why all those guys wore the wigs; they were fashionable and warm! 2008 will be the coolest year of the decade but according to the warming crowd it may still be too late. Thankfully there are cooler heads in this argument but the media doesn’t cover them as hotly as they do those ranting hysterically about GW. Not GW Bush, the other dangerous one: Global Warming.

So while NASA quietly revises temperature charts, I think we should only listen to climatologists who were around when man first created fire to take the frost off the pumpkin on those chilly early morning Mastodon hunts.

It’s a shame the world may be cooling. I’d hate to think this was a bad investment?

By the way, the real story of today is not this insipid little topic. Check out a story here that really matter and will make you so hot under the collar you personally may contribute to the melting polar ice caps.

S2

No comments: