Friday, April 3, 2009

I can make fire

When camping, I've been able to rub a couple sticks together and create fire. Yes, it is a bit more complicated that just grabbing the closest twigs and introducing them to each other but....you get my point: I can do it.

Fire, along with other early inventions like the wheel, arrow heads and 8 Track tape players brought man from his earliest origins to the point we are now where I can sit in the bedroom of my youth, type a few words on a laptop keyboard and have those words available instantly at the farthest reaches of the globe. At least in theory I can.

My laptop is on its final legs and, come Monday, it will be retired. It takes about six attempts to upload anything and I am incapable if finding the cause and fixing it. So, while I am able to survive MacGuyver-like, for a week in the wilderness of Idaho with nothing more than the clothes on my back, 18 inches of dental floss and a butter knife, I can't overcome the limits of my personal technology.

This loss of instant access, combined with the impending launch of a North Korean "satellite" has me wondering what we as a nation would do if we were suddenly nuked back to an age before the Internet, I-pods and those fancy light up tennis shoes I see kids wearing at the Mall were available as readily as they are now. Could we survive having to provide for our own survival?

I watched, and fell in love with, the show Jericho on Fancast.com. I recommend everyone watch this bit of fiction and think about what you might do in the same circumstances.

For my part, I give up. For the next few days I probably won't be posting to this blog as I get the new Laptop tweaked to Bald Man standards. I'll be sure to save up for some chilling, witty, insightful and, hopefully, entertaining posts next week.

See you soon.

No comments: