Thursday, March 26, 2009

It is one of the 57 seven states

I missed the online Town Hall meeting held by The ONE today as, unlike many of those who seem to attend these types of events, I have a job. I haven't had a chance to check out any online replays but I did see a few of the questions. I am afraid that we have reached the tipping point. Why is every question asked of a government official these days centered around what the government is going to do for us. I've news for you folks, it isn't what the government does for us, it is what it does to us.

It does seem like the First African American President of the United States, along with his teleprompter, is everywhere these days. I doubt there is a sole left in our 57 states who hasn't seen him on Jay Leno, 60 Minutes, You Tube and I think I saw him in a cameo in the movie the Watchmen a few weeks ago. He was the one with all the super powers.

I guess when you are a former community organizer, part time Senator and expert on everything, you should be public in your views. Face it, what hasn't The ONE spoken about publicly? I will give you one thing.

In North Dakota, people are working feverishly to protect their belongings and homes from the rising waters of the Red River. It must be Global Warming, sorry make that Global Climate Change, creating automobile size ice chunks that are blocking the river on its northerly trip in to Canada. Or, perhaps, the Canadians think the river is a British activist MP and are denying it entry. Either way, the situation is severe.

Surprisingly, The ONE, just like he ignored the frozen, toothless, inbred hicks in Kentucky a few months ago when more Global Warming caused storms put out the power across the state making Hillcicles out of the country folk not lucky enough to have struck oil while hunting for food and had moved to 'Beverly, has ignored the goings on in Canada's basement.

He did declare a state of emergency. This is good as it frees up government assistance more quickly. But, face it, emergencies are declared nationwide at the first sign of a high wind or when polls begin to falter. And Barack Obama would never pass up an opportunity to increase government spending. Would he?

The fine, hard working citizens up in fly over country should be in our thoughts and our prayers. So far, their work is paying off but Mother Nature can be, well, a mother and it is but a matter of time until the levy breaks. Whether you agree with his policies or not, The ONE is our President. A word of encouragement on behalf of the country to those who, at this moment, probably feel as alone and helpless as an environmentalist on his way to the North Pole to show the effects of global warming stuck, without food, in a blizzard.

Perhaps someone can put a few well wishes in to the teleprompter for you.

S2

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All right, I lied. Said in an earlier post that I couldn't pull any more out of my brain tonight. But I read this blog entry, noticed that it had been a while since I plugged my portable hard drive in for a backup session, and am killing time while it does its work.

First, disclaimers and disclosures. Although I did not vote for Obama (nor for McCain), part of me was happy that he got elected. I don't think that the happiness is due to any share of collected guilt about race, but I think the country took a step forward when a black man and a white woman became viable candidates. But we will take a greater step forward when we can have an atheist or a Buddhist as a viable candidate, and an even greater step when the subjects of race, ethnicity, religion and gender never come up in the campaign or in the press about it.

So I was happy that a fresh new face was entering the highest office, a face that knows how to put sentences together, and who appeared to be ready to apply a good education to the problems of governance. I like to think that I was happy out of hope and a desire for change.

Oh, boy. Did I get change. I was critical of W for descending from his supposedly Conservative principles. (But Ayn Rand said that Conservatives didn't have any principles to descend from, and she was probably right.) Obama is supposed to be smart, and he had exposure to some free market ideas in school. He also declared that his decisions would be based more on science that politics. But he has quickly shown that he's as political and unprincipled as any of the recent Chief Executives. He just puts in a more eloquent package. Yes, Lord Acton, power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. He has rapidly climbed down from the pedestal I placed him on. That'll learn me. I fear that property rights and individual liberty will suffer greatly during his administration, and it will be a long time, if ever, before the country returns to rule by the Constitution, much less by concepts of property rights and the freedom that they engender. It makes me want to cry.

So, back to the subjects of your post. Since I believe in self ownership and property rights in the extreme, I think that all taxation is theft. I think that adherence to property rights means that markets and their mechanisms are the only way to distribute wealth. I also think that, since the Constitution doesn't say that the federal government (any branch) has the power to send aid to North Dakota or to Kentucky, then it should not do those things.

It isn't wise to build in flood plains. The damage from floods is a market mechanism. It's sending a messages that reads, "Don't stay here." Giving my tax dollars to flood victims only subsidizes them to keep on living there, so we can give them more aid when the river overflows the levees again. I feel for flood victims. I have given to charities that supply them with relief. But that was my choice.

End of rants. They're starting to sound muddled, anyway. This time, I'm heading for bed.

Regards.

CrackerBarrel.