Monday, June 15, 2009

Umm...I think you missed one

Every few days I take a few minutes to read the roll calls of the House and Senate's votes. Even though I would prefer government inaction, I feel compelled to keep an eye on our government in action.

Several very public incidents were recognized by the House in resolutions passed, mostly overwhelmingly. H.RES.505 condemned the senseless murder of late term abortion Doctor George Tiller and H.RES.529 condemned the attack and murder at the Holocaust Museum in Washington, DC. While I personally don't understand wasting the public's time and money having our politicians write, debate and pass such resolutions, I suppose in a civilized society outrage and condolence have a place in public discourse. I am sure I am in the minority as one who questions the need for such acknowledgments.

My questioning becomes more anger as I note the absence of a resolution condemning the shooting of a Marine recruiter in Alabama by a self-professed member of the "religion of peace" in what the shooter claimed was a justified killing.

Understandably the House is busy with its take over of everything from Auto Manufacturers to Cigarette companies so they may have just run out of time to make such a resolution. Although they did have time to congratulate the University of Tennessee women's basketball team and Head Coach Pat Summitt on her 1000th victory, express condolences to the citizens of Italy and support for the Government of Italy in the aftermath of the devastating earthquake that struck the Abruzzo region of central Italy and express condolences to the families, friends, and loved ones of the victims of the catastrophic explosion at the ConAgra Foods plant in Garner, North Carolina. I guess the time to condemn a terrorist act on US soil just wasn't there.

Oh well, perhaps I shouldn't be too hard on the government, the media mostly ignored this story too.

S2

No comments: